Sunday, December 30, 2012

Embers and Ashes

You burnt the church
I burnt the bridge
You burnt the house
out on the ridge
I burnt the meadow
and burnt the boat
but I can't let go
of the taste in my throat
of the ashes in the air
and the smoke all around
and the soot in my hair
and the embers on the ground
I walked away from it all that day
as it went up in flames
and blew away
Yet I keep glancing at the embers
and how they glow
but who remembers?
I keep the ashes in my pockets
like an anchor to the past
and I wish this wouldn't last
but I can't move on
You burnt the church down
I burnt the bridge
You set fire to the house
out on our ridge
So, I burnt the meadow
and burnt the boat
When will I let go?
Maybe I won't
Remembering ashes in the air
and smoke all around
and the soot in my hair
and embers on the ground
as I walked away that day
my world up in flames
nothing left to say
nothing left to say
When will I look at the glowing embers of the past
without any ashes holding me there steadfast?
I wish I could toss them out far into the sea
but I burnt the boat that used to be
the vessel for my relief
You burnt the church
and I burnt the bridge
There's no more house
out on that ridge
Ashes for a meadow
Ashes for a boat
Nothing left that I know
and no antidote
Ashes through the air
and memories in flames
and soot in my hair
embers were names
but the ash in my pockets I hold too tight
remembering before now, before the fight
When will I look at the glowing embers of the past
without these ashes holding me there steadfast?
I would toss them out far into the sea
but for some reason I keep them here with me

by: E.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment