Monday, December 6, 2010

Stepping Stone

While I'm sifting through the mess and the rubble and the pain
You are out on the ledge playing all those silly games
Count the shots that you've had, line them up, stack them high
I will sort out all my past, present, future hopes and cry
They are snappin' pics, smiling free, stupid fools
I am labeling the endings and signing off for good
Call the idiots and sing them a song or two and say
This is the life that you wanted, you got it all the way

It's a lie I know
It's not all OK
Go ahead and try to pretend it
I am seeing right through this

I am here alone and lost the sunshine while you stole it away
Moved to a new home, better lifestyle, nothing more to say
Hold your loved ones close they seem to mean the world to you
I'm just a stepping stone that helped you get all the way through
Just a moment, just a phase, just someone to pass the time with
But that's OK, you can be another photo in these boxes

While I'm sorting through the years, through the wishes I have had
You are trying to be something that you aren't in a childish fad
Drink your vodka and see those stars, count the lights on the lamposts
I'll burn my dreams down, seal the envelopes and toss away the hopes
They are smiling and they're laughing and drivin' fast
It's all eggshells and lunatics and a broken past
In my rearview, in the mirror, outside of my windows here
But for you it's a haze of smoke and nothing is quite clear

It's all fine I'm sure
Pretend it's all OK
Go ahead and think you did it
I still see right through this

I am here alone and lost the sunshine while you stole it away
Moved to a new home, better lifestyle, nothing more to say
Hold your loved ones close they seem to mean the world to you
I'm just a stepping stone that helped you get all the way through
Just a moment, just a phase, just someone to pass the time with
But that's OK, you can be another photo in these boxes

You'll be a memory, just a thought, just a summer
Just a moment of a time I can remember
I'll be your stepping stone, the girl who helped you get there
And when I see your name and face on google I will not care

I am here alone and I'll make new sunshine for my brighter day
You can stay in your new flat and have a party there faraway
Hold all those people close who seem to mean the world to you
Just remember when they walk away who was the one there for you
Just a moment, just a phase, a stone you used to get ahead
And you'll be a photo in the box I'll store under the bed

By Elizabeth Azpurua

No comments:

Post a Comment